Interesting people I ran into: - Tony Talent - RK and I met him at Imaginon! He toured us around. He is/was the Michelle of Imaginon! I ran into him at the Swap and Shop today. He left Imaginon! (as of yesterday) and will start his new job as Boulder Library Director in July. - Blanche Wools - yes, the one and only from SJSU. He tried to convince me to get a PhD - puh-lease. - Carmen Hernandez - she and I went to library school together and worked at Glendora together. She was raving about the donor plaques we have at VG and wants to copy them for her library - Alhambra. - Linda Taylor - a former friend from library school. She, Margaret, some crazy woman, and I all went to CLA in Santa Clara together in 1996. - several former students
Our "dinner of heroes" tonight was a lot of fun! What could be better than sharing a meal with two real-life heroes, Lorena and Don, and a tableful of library heroes who have a love of doing exciting, innovative library work and a real passion for the Rancho Cucamonga Libraries! Thanks for dessert - you know who you are. :)
As everyone has already heard, Angelica and I had a CRAZY lunch today. We helped a lady out who got hit by a car. It was almost a Hit and Run, but luckily the driver was spotted about 30 minutes later and everything was sorted out. Angelica did an AWESOME job on the phone with the police and handling the police report! I couldn't be happier to share the cloffice with Angelica.
Based on the orders from our dinner on Sunday evening, there are more than a few steak eaters in our midst.
Anyway, on Saturday night, I went to the steakhouse in the Marriott and ordered Kobe beef. (Actually, once you ask the server about it, they will say it is "American Kobe beef", otherwise known as "Wagyu").
Bottom line is that if even given a choice of Wagyu (you will never get real Kobe beef (it comes from Japan) unless you are at somewhere like a Wolfgang Puck restaurant (since it is so expensive and hard to get here in America) or a nice piece of ribeye (my personal favorite cut), go with the ribeye! It just has more flavor. (To my palate, the Wagyu tasted almost processed...)
Having said this, if you ever eat at the steakhouse at the Anaheim Marriott, the roasted fingerling potatoes, brocolini (this might be my favorite vegetable!) and in particular, their Caesar salad were all first-rate. (All of the sides were served family-style and could easily feed four people).
Almost anything with these great side dishes (except the Wagyu...) would make up a great meal. Someone else who was at dinner had the roasted rack of lamb (crusted with dijon and panko bread crumbs) and this was to die for! I know what I am ordering the next time if I ever go back there!
I was very impressed with Lorena's fast first aid response! I still can't believe the 7/11 guy and the ice. I agree if tehre is ever an emergency I would want you there!
I a m glad that so many librarians came out to see ALA and hopefully got a nice taste of CA, except for the car accident part.
The food at the Gale lunch on Monday was very nice! It featured a make-your-own sandwich bar, fruit salad, peanut cole slaw, cookies and drinks.
In spite of the large conference I ran into some people I know. In addition to seeing folks from Rancho (and former RCPLer Christine Parenteau), I saw a classmate from Fuller's spring 07 LIBR 241 class, and a tech librarian that I'd been introduced to by email by a friend in Irvine and had seen on the Horizon listserv but hadn't ever met in person.
12 comments:
By far the coolist thing was having Kareem Abdul Jabar walk by while we ate lunch! Too bad we couldn't get a picture of him with Lorena.
Playing the *entire* weekend at ALA is a video in the ITG (our RFID vendor) booth that quite prominently features both Michelle and Barb.
Strange people are coming up to Michelle and saying "I saw you in the video!"
Cloffice Mates to the Rescue!
Lorena and Angelica are *true* heroes. The next time I am hit by a car, I can only hope that they will be near by...
RK
Being stopped in the exhibits by some woman saying "I saw you on video!" It was the wife of the ITG CEO.
Michelle
Interesting people I ran into:
- Tony Talent - RK and I met him at Imaginon! He toured us around. He is/was the Michelle of Imaginon! I ran into him at the Swap and Shop today. He left Imaginon! (as of yesterday) and will start his new job as Boulder Library Director in July.
- Blanche Wools - yes, the one and only from SJSU. He tried to convince me to get a PhD - puh-lease.
- Carmen Hernandez - she and I went to library school together and worked at Glendora together. She was raving about the donor plaques we have at VG and wants to copy them for her library - Alhambra.
- Linda Taylor - a former friend from library school. She, Margaret, some crazy woman, and I all went to CLA in Santa Clara together in 1996.
- several former students
Michelle
Our "dinner of heroes" tonight was a lot of fun! What could be better than sharing a meal with two real-life heroes, Lorena and Don, and a tableful of library heroes who have a love of doing exciting, innovative library work and a real passion for the Rancho Cucamonga Libraries! Thanks for dessert - you know who you are. :)
As everyone has already heard, Angelica and I had a CRAZY lunch today. We helped a lady out who got hit by a car. It was almost a Hit and Run, but luckily the driver was spotted about 30 minutes later and everything was sorted out. Angelica did an AWESOME job on the phone with the police and handling the police report! I couldn't be happier to share the cloffice with Angelica.
Attention Steak Lovers!
Based on the orders from our dinner on Sunday evening, there are more than a few steak eaters in our midst.
Anyway, on Saturday night, I went to the steakhouse in the Marriott and ordered Kobe beef. (Actually, once you ask the server about it, they will say it is "American Kobe beef", otherwise known as "Wagyu").
Bottom line is that if even given a choice of Wagyu (you will never get real Kobe beef (it comes from Japan) unless you are at somewhere like a Wolfgang Puck restaurant (since it is so expensive and hard to get here in America) or a nice piece of ribeye (my personal favorite cut), go with the ribeye! It just has more flavor. (To my palate, the Wagyu tasted almost processed...)
Having said this, if you ever eat at the steakhouse at the Anaheim Marriott, the roasted fingerling potatoes, brocolini (this might be my favorite vegetable!) and in particular, their Caesar salad were all first-rate. (All of the sides were served family-style and could easily feed four people).
Almost anything with these great side dishes (except the Wagyu...) would make up a great meal. Someone else who was at dinner had the roasted rack of lamb (crusted with dijon and panko bread crumbs)
and this was to die for! I know what I am ordering the next time if I ever go back there!
RK
Gee, why is this my longest post so far?...
I should have gotten some of those little doughnuts from Convention Center vendor before they packed up and left - they looked delicious!
I got my picture taken at a booth with some pirates and then noticed all the books were by L. Ron Hubbard...uh oh, I may regret this...
It was fun getting together for dinner on Sunday. "Rib-eye! Rib-eye! Rib-eye!"
The Marriott's parking attendant's machine wasn't working. I hope the city accepts handwritten receipts for reimbursement or I'm out $60!
I had a great time at the conference!
I was very impressed with Lorena's fast first aid response! I still can't believe the 7/11 guy and the ice. I agree if tehre is ever an emergency I would want you there!
I a m glad that so many librarians came out to see ALA and hopefully got a nice taste of CA, except for the car accident part.
If you ever have dinner at the Overland Stage at the Sheraton in Anaheim, ask for Roberto and tell him Lorena sent you. He'll know who I am! =)
The food at the Gale lunch on Monday was very nice! It featured a make-your-own sandwich bar, fruit salad, peanut cole slaw, cookies and drinks.
In spite of the large conference I ran into some people I know. In addition to seeing folks from Rancho (and former RCPLer Christine Parenteau), I saw a classmate from Fuller's spring 07 LIBR 241 class, and a tech librarian that I'd been introduced to by email by a friend in Irvine and had seen on the Horizon listserv but hadn't ever met in person.
Post a Comment