Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Children's Programs

What children's-related programs did you attend?
  • name of program / day / time
  • presenter(s)
  • tell us about program
  • top 2 things you took away from the program
  • anything else?
  • 15 comments:

    Rob said...

    "Taking Off With Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library"

    I started the conference at this workshop along with several other RCPL staff because of its ELF applications. Presenters Saroj Gholing and Katie Ross provided lots of resources we can adapt for our storytimes targeting the very young and their caregivers, as well as ideas for circulating materials targeting this audience. They encouraged the development of early literacy bags for parents and teachers to borrow--something our staff is planning. I'm hoping to see such products and packaging to circulate them in the exhibits.

    Rob said...

    "Public Programs in a Shoebox: What if You Don't Have a Community Room"
    Presenters: Kelley Nolan, Connie Barrington and Steve Seale.

    I had high hopes for new programming ideas from this workshop but as it turned out our staff could have taught this one. To be fair some of the presenters had travel problems and never made it here. Mr. Seale was a last minute substitute but he was actually the most interesting.

    The focus here was on very small rural libraries and how to provide programming. Interestingly in a show of hands only half the audience characterized themselves as being from rural libraries. I suspect there were others like me looking for new ideas to present in the middle of the children's room or outside in the courtyard.

    Pajama storytimes, after hours programs and even a Big Truck "Rodeo" were some of the ideas presented (sound familiar?). Several people had done big truck events but the rural libraries liked our idea of featuring the bookmobile.

    Connie Barrington emphasized keeping the physical space flexible and being able to move furniture and even collections to provide programming space.

    Perhaps we should offer to present this program next year and gear it to more than just rural libraries.

    Rob said...

    "Beyond 'Frog & Toad': A Developmental Analysis of Transitional Literature"

    Presenters: Andrea Zevenbergen and Allison Angell

    Overview of transitional books from their start with The Stories Julian Tells in 1981 to current offerings such as the Magic Tree House and Time Warp Trio series. These are early chapter books that we shelve in J Fiction.

    The presenters looked at the literature from their different perspectives of the classroom and the library. I was most interested in hearing about the bookclub Ms. Angell had started with readers at this level. Also offered were ways market this collection and some discussion as to where libraries shelve them. At Biane a lot of these books will be found in the 3rd & 4th grade power wall.

    Angelica said...

    Sister's Act: Learn How to Make Your Library's Activities Award Winning
    Saturday 4-5:30
    Brenda Copeland and Pat Messner

    This program was a disappointment for me. This was the program I was most looking forward to at ALA, as we do so many children's programs and we are always looking to keep things fresh and exciting.

    The presenters were two sisters who seemed like nice women from PA and OH. Unfortunately,their presentation seemed unprepared, unprofessional and something that a first time storyteller might present.

    Lorena and I both attended this and received packets that were incomplete and five pages of fill in the blank type school forms based on a book called "Mr. Wiggle's Book." This book was small picture book about a book worm that is unhappy because someone damaged his book. She read some of the pages in a monotoned voice and thumbed through the pages, then passing it around for us.

    We were told that the whole point of the program was these packets that were to give us a full bibliography of books for us to base our programs on.

    It did not get better, unfortunately. I think Lorena will fill you in on the quality information and props we learned. The two things I learned from the program ...
    1) Our library has REALLY good programs
    2) What not do in a presentation: have your material prepared, know your audience, be wary of what you name your program, be authoritative, knowledgable, engaging, funny, and get to the point.
    Not every program can be great, but every program does has something to teach. I look forward to a new leaf tomorrow!

    Rosie said...

    This was my first workshop on Saturday. "Taking Off with Every Child Ready to Read @ your Library"
    It was very informative and has lots of great ideas for Babies (ELF), Toddler, Pre-school and FFL programming. The idea is to reach the parent or caregiver to make a difference in the child's early literacy skills. My favorites are Flannel Board Workshop for Family Night, Enhanced Storytime involving adults, Playgroup @ the Library for Family Place, Discovery Room. Having a bulletin board with early literacy skills information for parents and caregivers is a good idea too. They provided us with lots of websites to check out for more ideas. Presenters Saroj Ghoting and Katie Ross were both good.

    RK said...

    On Sunday morning, a few of us attended "Library 2.0 and Children's Services".

    The first speaker, David Lee King (who is pretty well-known in the library world for his work with Library 2.0) gave what I thought was a very good overview of the Library 2.0 toolbox, and some practical examples of how youth services (his examples were more geared towards teens) could incorporate Library 2.0 ideas. He didn't mention anything that I didn't know (and anything we aren't doing in some form already) but I thought he was still good.

    Unfortunately, the second speaker just started pulling up children's services blogs and saying "Here is a children's services blog..." And that seemed to be the extent of her presentation. (But I can't say for sure because I walked out about 10 minutes into her portion; unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough because everyone else who came with me had already left!)

    RK

    Margaret said...

    Taking Off with Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library. Saroj Ghoting, Early Childhood Literacy consultant, Riner, VA and Katie Ross, Children’s Programmer and Trainer, Kanawha County Public Library System. Saturday, June 28, 2008, 8 am- 10 am.

    I enjoyed this workshop because Saroj and Katie gave lots of examples of how to implement early literacy skills in a variety of programs. Some programs to involve the entire family include : Family Night - actitivities the entire family can do together like a Flannel Board workshop; Playgroup at the library - informal meeting held twice a month in the children's area; Do it yourself storytimes - families make flannel board and develop activities around the theme; Toddler Exploration - set up stations with different activities, revolving around a theme, round robin style.

    Katie stress the importance of creating a language rich environment. One library has a puppet stage with preliteracy skills posted (ie. Narrative skills.) Create a bulletin board, such as a Cat and the Fiddle display and use signage reinforcing the relationship between the activities and reading, explain why the activity you are doing increases their literacy skills. Place numbers on the steps leading to the children’s room; put a nursery rhyme on the floor.

    I found the workshop handouts to have lots of good information and will be able to use these resources for the Bouncing Babies storytimes.

    Margaret said...

    Celebrating Children’s Book Week: a how-to for Creating Innovative Youth Programs and Events. Monday, June 30th, 2008 1:30-3:30pm. Speakers: Wendy Rosenfield, Outreach Services Manager, Palm Beach County Library System. Andrea Vuleta, Mrs. Nelson’s Toy and Book Shop. Walter M. Mayes, Library Media Specialist, Girls Middle School, Mountain View, CA.
    Adrian Fogelin, author.

    I thought this workshop had some good content. Wendy Rosenfield, Outreach Services Manager, Palm Beach County Library System outlined the Families Reading Together program. A 10 person committee chose a picture book aimed at kindergartners through 1st grade which met these criteria: available in paperback (affordable), accessible for all, with multicultural illustrations. They chose the Colors of Us by Karen Katz as their first book. Their local paper printed posters, newsletters, bookmarks for advertising. They included the 413 daycares in this program and gave them free copies of the book.

    They partnered with local venues for events. The program kickoff location was the Busch Wildlife Sanctuary where children received free admission if they had a library card. The bookmobile was on site to issue cards if kids didn’t have one. Barnes and Noble created displays for the book. With the publishers permission, translations were made of the book. They partnered with the local art museum to create an interactive experience with the book. Illustrations of the book were blown up to give the kids the experience of physically taking part of the story.

    The Families Reading Together program is in it’s fifth year and continues to grow in scope. A bookmark contest, youth storytellers, professional storytellers and puppeteers were additional elements to support the program.
    Andrea Vuleta from Mrs. Nelson’s Toy and Book Shop and Walter M. Mayes, Library Media Specialist, Girls Middle School, Mountain View, CA both outlined more traditional types of programming but stressed partnerships. Walter Mayes was quite a character. He works for a very small private girls school. He is a physically looming prescence with a big, big personality. He recounted how he removed all the fantasy books from his library as a prelude to Banned Books week and the girls picketed and received media attention. Adrian Fogelin, author offered practical advice on how to book author's visits.

    Overall, a well rounded panel and some good content - nothing earth shattering though. The key focus was on partnerships which is a major theme for the workshops I've been attending.

    Margaret said...

    Touchpoints: Strengthening Families, Building Communities featuring keynote Dr. T. Berry Brazelton. ALSC Charlemae Rollins President’s Program. Monday, June 30, 2008, 8 am - 9:30 am.

    Dr. Brazelton is an expert on child development. He’s written 40books on the subject! He spoke of the vital role libraries play in the family and community. Parents are suffering from major stressors - changing family roles, lack of time for family activities, isolation, war, diversity as a negativity. Libraries are a part of the family system. They offer a safe, welcoming place for families to interact together and with other families. Libraries are early learning centers, a welcoming environment for families to share and play and encourage a child’s social and emotional development.

    The presentation included a couple of video clips of Dr. Brazelton’s work with babies. One clip showed a two month old baby communicating and interacting with his mother. The other clip showed a 12 month old baby figuring out what to do with too many toys and looking to his mother for emotional support and recognition. It was fascinating to see the work and Dr. Brazelton’s explanation of what the babies were indicating by their body language and facial expressions.

    The question and answer period was very interesting - some of the members of the audience were former patients of Dr. Brazelton’s. One woman was from a family of 9 children which Dr. Brazelton studied. “We all came out normal!” she said and he laughed and said jokingly “oh, that’s good, I was worried about you” or something to that effect and everyone laughed.

    Listening to Dr. Brazelton's speech reinforces my feelings of how important our children's services are to the development and well being of the children and families of our community. I think the popularity of our storytimes and programs are a testament of how valuable we are to our community. Hooray!

    Margaret said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Angelica said...

    Library 2.0 Services
    Sunday 10:30 - 12
    David Lee King

    I attended this program with Robert, Renee, Heather, Margaret, and Lorena. I rtealy enjoyed the first part of the program with David speaking and was surprised that knew quite a bit about what he was talking about: wikis, blogs, youtube, im.

    I really appreciated the the overview of all and learned about RSS feeds and he even offered a few ideas of what to do with some of these: barbie book discussion group (I was the only one amused by this), school's using blogs and your tube videos to report about the activiies in their class, students excited to continue blogs into the summer, and a few library blog ideas. He was interesting and had a great power point presentation.

    The second speaker droned on in a difficult to dinstinguish voice (think of a drive throguh speaker or a subway announcement) about random blogs, not really talking about ideas or how to use them. Luckily her presentation allowed us to be in time for the car accident and to provide quality clofficer services!

    Angelica said...

    Monday 8:00-9:30
    President’s Program: Touchpoints: Dr. T. Berry Brazelton

    This program was great! I wish Dr. Brazelton could come to the library and do baby storytime! He was great speaker full of positive energy, smiles, humor, and great information. I have never read any of his books – but am inspired to do so now! He had captivating videos of experiments (playing with children) and watching their expressions and body language. Dr. Brazelton is like a baby interpreter and watching the videos with him filling in the dialogue for the baby is amazing. His basic philosophy is that the library should be a place to offer these mothers (fathers and families etc.) and babies a chance to be a community and turn to each other for support and advice. The best thing for parents is to be excited by their baby and play with their baby. It sounds like such simple advice, but after watching the video and see the child learning it is true. Looking at the child’s face after hearing Dr. Brazelton was like being able to see the child’s mind work … just incredible! Preschoolers are still my favorite age, but I am less terrified of babies after Dr. Brazelton (it’s not like they’re wild animals, but Dr. Brazelton did say *never* look a baby in the eye. Who knew? At least I didn’t). I think Heather said some of the videos are on youtube. If you can find time to watch them I highly recommend it! And if we have any future baby celebrations or programs, unveilings and need a speaker – I would love to see Brazelton again!

    Lorena said...

    “Taking off with Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library” was the very first program I attended at ALA on Saturday from 8-10. This program was a great review of a class that Angelica, Casey, Linda, and I are currently taking (Resources for Children 0-6). Basically they talked about the six early literacy skills that we should be incorporating into our storytimes. The six skills are:

    1. Narrative Skills- being able to describe things & events, and tell stories.
    2. Phonological Awareness- being able to hear and play with the smaller sounds in words
    3. Letter Knowledge- Knowing letters are different from each other, knowing their names and sounds and recognizing letters everywhere.
    4. Print Motivation- Being interested in and enjoying books.
    5. Vocabulary- Knowing the name of things
    6. Print Awareness- Noticing print, knowing how to handle a book and knowing how to follow the words on a page

    The cool part was that one of the speakers, Saroj Ghoting, wrote one of our textbooks. It’s no wonder everything sounded so familiar! The other speakers included: Katie Ross from the Kanawha County Public Library System in Charleston West Virginia, and Julie Kress from the Oakville Public Library in Ontario, Canada.

    Two things that I took away from the program are:

    1) Have a playtime after storytimes to let children and parents interact.
    2) They sell magnetic paint so that you can make the most of your wall space!

    Lorena said...

    “Sisters’ Act: Learn How to Make Your Library Activities Award Winning and Generate Enthusiastic Readers”

    Saturday 3:30-5

    Speakers: Patricia A Messner, Media Specialist, Lebanon City Schools; Brenda S. Copeland, Elementary Librarian and Author, Palmyra Area School District

    Like Angelica, I was also very excited about attending this program. I thought we’d hear about programs like Nina’s “Underground Railroad,” but instead we heard how to make snowmen using 3 circles. We also heard about how important it is to use props. The props these two women suggested we use were pulled out of a wal-mart shopping bag and I still can’t make the connection as to what it had to do with what was being discussed. I’m hoping the kids they use them on have a big imagination.

    Two things I took away from this program:

    1) If you are ever public speaking….be prepared!
    2) Our children’s programs are awesome at RCPL!

    Cara said...

    Touchpoints: Strengthening Families, Building Communities featuring keynote Dr. T. Berry Brazelton.

    I also attended Dr. Brazelton's presentation and have been a big fan and user of his advice over the years. He's sooooo positive, kind, and loving and probably the best dad on the planet. His parenting advice is very forgiving and encouraging. I recommend his books to parents all the time.

    Anyway, I loved the clips too, they're from his PBS tv show "What Every Baby Knows" which I've actually seen on VHS in some libraries. Maybe we can order them. This was a rewarding and inspiring program and his work is worth knowing about, especially considering the young families and parents in our community!