Sunday, June 29, 2008

Do You Have a Program in You?...

Michelle and I were talking about some of the presenters here at ALA and came to the conclusion that we have people on staff who could do a far better job of putting on a program than many we have seen.

I know that we have a lot that we can share (and teach the library world). So here is your charge: What kind of program might you (or a group) want to present, perhaps when CLA comes down to Southern California in 2009?... (BTW - Michelle and I have come up with a few ideas for some of you if you can't think of something yourself!)

15 comments:

Michelle said...

No MLIS? No Problem! (name, courtesy of RK)

OK, here's my idea...

At next year's CLA (when it's down here), get our library school students to do a presentation on what they do to show that you may not have an MLIS or you may "just" be in library school, but that doesn't mean you can't get a great job (in a great library). By then Lorena and Don would be done, but otherwise, Adam could do something on starting a tech center and great programming lineup, Angelica could do something on children's programs, Linda could do something on teen programs, Casey could do something on large scale programs, Allen could do something on B2B, and if Isabel is in library school by then (which she might be), she could do something on early learning and our baby storytimes.

Bottom line, I think it would be a fabulous program because it would showcase 5 or 6 amazing people who are doing amazing things (and dare I say it, in an amazing library system!)

What do you think? (Of course, *I* would get to introduce all of you!)

Michelle

Don said...

A possible addition to "No MLIS? No Problem!" would be library staff who had successfully made a career change and how they'd achieved it.

Some of the ALA tech programs I attended featured several speakers giving short presentations on related topics, such as OPACs or Social Software. I think we could do all or part of a program on Rancho's group project of creating our new Website and online calendar.

RK said...

There are a bunch of programs that come to my mind!

The first is: "Can't Buy a New One? Fix Up What You Have!" This would obviously be about remodeling an existing library. Off-hand, I would want to talk about repurposing spaces, and how much it costs to do this. I now know how much it costs to do things like recarpet and paint a library (a minor facelift). Also, how much library furniture and shelving/end panels costs, or cool things like wrapping your elevator door with a decal. Or even how much it costs to create a new space like a tech center.

As part of this program, I would also want Michelle to talk about the logistics for moving a collection, staff scheduling, and moving back in. And a BIG point I would want to make is that when you do a remodel, you (the library) should take control of your own destiny (and every aspect of the remodel) and not depend on your public works or purchasing or engineering departments to do this kind of stuff since in no way are they as invested in your building (and its program) as you are. You are going to need to learn a new skill set (on the fly) but it can be done. (Of course, this program is contingent upon the AR remodel being all it can be!)

Program idea #2 - "Seven Easy (and Mostly Free) Things You Can Do for a Better Guest Experience..." I am just introducing this program! But I would love for Michelle, etc. to give seven (this was a random number; it could be more) bullet points on things we do that other libraries could do to provide a better experience for people who come to a library. I think we can make the premise that people will try your library once, but once they come, you need to get them to come back! And here are some things that you can do (and most don't even cost any money): Things like merchandising the collection, power walls, "guerilla story times", a lack of signs that say "Don't Do This...", roving reference, etc. Of course we could throw in a few thing that really do cost money (updated collection, having great physical facilities) but then again, this would be a Rancho program...

Finally, the third program I would like to see is something on the programs we do. Maybe it overlaps with "No MLIS, No Problem!" but I would like for some of you to talk about things like BHM, BFG Fest, Big Read, Star Wars, etc. Also a "Page to the Stage" program. These probably couldn't be emulated easily elsewhere, but they are examples of great library programs.

Heck, let's just rename CLA 2009, RKLA 2009!

Casey said...

Michelle, Don and Robert, your presentation ideas are wonderful and I think we could also include practical how-to tips. Many of the ALA programs offered recaps of what libraries did, but not how they did it. We could present a Roadmap format, so that if others were really inspired by our ideas, they might be able to *try* to duplicate them. I seem to recall a proverb that states, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."

Anonymous said...

I think we should do a program on The Summer Library for Families at Central School.

Something like, “Library Closed for Remodel: a plan for providing temporary library services.” The Summer Library turned out fabulous! With Michelle’s floor plan, we took a square box of a room (school multipurpose room) and turned it into a family friendly setting, incorporating summer reading club, family reading room, merchandise shelving, with something for all ages. Our photos from this project look great.

This would definitely be a how-to-do-it program for anyone considering a closure for any reason or a way of extending their library services to an outreach location.

These how-to do-it programs are really popular. I haven't seen one on this topic.

Anonymous said...

We could do a program on how to start and maintain library bookclubs. I know bookclubs may sound like an old topic, but we've come up with some creative, innovative ideas that I haven't seen other libraries doing. Casey's mystery group chooses their "theme" rather than all reading the same book, Allen's science fiction club reads short stories throughout the summer, Reader's Circle has had author phone chats, which are free and the next best thing to having an author visit in person. Seemingly simple ideas, like sending a monthly newsletter reminder with discussion questions and background info on the book and author. Readalike displays that incorporate nonfiction books, showing part of a related movie or documentary. We circulated "bookclub in a bag" kits during the Big Read for do-it-yourself bookclubs. I think we have lots of creative ideas to offer the library world related to the topic of bookclubs.

Lorena said...

"Collection Development for the Non-Spanish Speaker"

Purchasing books in a language you are not familiar with can be somewhat challenging. In this program you will learn some of the best resources to review and some of the most popular topics in Spanish.

Angelica said...

Such great ideas!

I am glad that we aren't just settling on not seeing the best workshops offered, but getting out there and giving some.

The big problem with the "not helpful" workshops were people who pushed information that *everyone* knows already or as Casey said, didn't tell you how to do it, or offer any *new* ideas.

I think it is such a privilege and rarity for most library staff to get out of the busy building and they really want to get the most out of their session. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to go and see some of the great presenters.

That is why I am nervous to present anything! If I felt like I really had something to say (that no one has heard before) and that I knew about, … and if I had other presenters with me, might not be the end of the world. I don’t what that would be! I can always offer up my Axel Rose dance if anyone is interested! Maybe Allen could back me up with vocals.

Seriously, I do have a lot of ideas of what I would *like* to attend and I think someone on staff knows already! I loved the telethon program! I know I wanted to work here because the library was so forward thinking – located in a mall! The technology! And the amazing people! I’ll bet there are a lot of people who would be really interested to see what RC has to say. Some ideas that I would be interested to see…

Grant writing 101: who should write grants, how do you find out about them, how long does it take, what kind of grants are out there?

First Time Managers and supervisors: What they don’t tell you in school!

Employee Selection: How do you choose a good employee? Interviewing tips? What are good qualities to look for? Constructive Criticism? Finding people’s strengths? Team building?
*** Just an idea … maybe instead of having a separate class on no MLIS – the great things and experience that someone can do without an MLIS can be presented here. That way it would be geared more to those hiring?

Mega-programming: I liked that. A lot of libraries don’t do things on such a huge scale and don’t have the amazing science of it all worked out!

PR for the library: how to contact papers, tv stations, what is good for press? What are reporters always trying to get you say? What if they misquote you?

I know Heather, Margaret, Lorena, and I were having a big discussion about some of the classes we would like to see that have not been offered as far as children’s.

Difficult situations for children’s people and how to handle them: (this all the things all the children’s people have come across have come across) abandoned children, angry parents, children that don’t want to stay in story time or leave their parents, children with disabilities in storytime, child that has to use the restroom and the parent has gone missing, when to call the police, when to report abuse, what do you say to parents of children re: all of these situations.

Policies: Some of the staff brought up that policies could be a whole other workshop. Who writes the policies? What are your state’s guidelines? How do you find out? How current should they be?

Performers and Displays: Important contract / legal info you should know before booking a performer? What are good tips to look for in a performer? Displays or art work coming to your library? Should you see the art work or performer first?

Summer Reading Club: How to start your first SRC? Get volunteers? Prizes? Timeline of ordering? Request donations from the community? How to estimate your numbers? How long should it go? Sample forms for volunteer sign ups etc.
*** This would be good for a teen SRC program too.

Nina – Arts and Crafts: I would love to Nina up there with some of her crafts! She would blow those folks out of the water!

Programming ideas: I think everyone is always looking for new programming ideas, but so much of what we do is already on the internet being done somewhere. I think Renee and Heather were talking about a segment on programming for boys? Jason’s grossfest? Allen’s Starwars program?

I think that’s it … for now ...

Thank you for reading my great epic novel.

Margaret said...

Great ideas from everybody!

One of the programs that cildren's staff did some brainstorming about was how to handle difficult issues "Library 9-1-1" such as, abandoned kids; overflow for children's programs; waiting lists for storytimes, etc. etc.

Michelle mentioned a program about Casey and myself talking about changing our career paths but I don't know if we'd have enough material for a 2 hour program - Angelica time to gear up for your Axel Rose dance!

I just went to an Infopeople library merchandising workshop which was really good, especially since the Biane library exemplifies everything the speaker talked about. We could do a "Successful Library Merchandising" program featuring Biane and the remodeled Archibald library. It would be cool to present pictures of the old Archibald library with the newly remodeled library featuring the merchandising techniques.

RK said...

"Axl Rose dance"? (Note correct spelling of his name!) Angelica, if you do this in front of a room full of people, then this alone is worth the price of admission!

Wait a minute, someone from Rancho who can actually dance? (I also heard you can cartwheel!)

I am stopping here. This is just TMI for me to process... :]

Cara said...

I honestly really liked my post as handout distributor at Robert & Michelle's Extreme Reference program at CLA 2006. Not sure I want to find myself on the stage either, but if that's our fate, I like all the ideas presented so far. I can think of just a few more like:

-Planning a Big Read/One City One Book program.
-Cultural programs 101
-Tech programming done right!
-Merchandizing
-Build-a-Website

Don said...

I like Cara's idea of "Tech Programming Done Right!" Several of us could do a program talking about putting on tech classes from our different perspectives - Adam as an experienced tech program planner and class teacher at Biane, Jenn and I starting to teach classes and plan programming at the new Archibald tech center, and Lorena and Selene putting on tech classes in Spanish.

I also have an interesting career change story should that be a program topic or subtopic, and I would definitely like to see Angelica's "Axl Rose Dance" as well... :-)

Casey said...

As Angelica mentioned, it was truly educational just to attend ALA, even if some of the presentations were less than stellar. I was amazed at how many libraries are "out there," as well as the vast array of library products available to purchase.

In addition, I enjoyed being with our staff in a different setting and getting to know everyone better. As Michelle and I have discussed, yes, we are truly blessed to work at such a beautiful library located in a wonderfully support city. However, to me it is the people who make the daily tasks fun and meaningful. Thanks to everyone for all of your kindness and caring.

RCPL said...

I'm a little late chiming in here, but...I definitely think we should do a program about the remodeling experience. From what I've seen, when a library undergoes a remodeling project, the typical expectation is that the library will simply shut down and not offer services until the reopening. We made sure that our patrons had as many options as possible during the remodel, and we partnered with the school district and the senior center in order to accomplish this. Why not share our ideas with the world?

I also really like the idea of a Library 911 workshop -- how to handle abandoned kids, irate parents, people sneaking into the library in the middle of the night and sacking out on the couch...

I also like Karye's idea about a workshop on bookclubs. Between our regular monthly bookclubs and all the Big Read stuff, we really do have a ot of expertese here.

RCPL said...

Oops, sorry, that comment above was from me, Jennifer. I seem to have two gmail accounts.